Environmental, Social, Governance
Environmental protection, social responsibility and good corporate governance (ESG: environmental, social and governance) are values that are lived at LAP and are deeply rooted in processes as well as in the company’s everyday life.
LAP contributes to environmental protection, implementing measures with this in mind to optimize use of energy and be economical in the use of resources on a continuous/targeted basis.
Our employees are the foundation of our success. Health, well-being and celebrating shared success are important to us.
- Ecological construction: The company buildings at the main Lüneburg site were built with ecological criteria in mind. Some of the buildings are fitted with green roofs and a photovoltaic system. The interior of the company buildings is designed according to building biology criteria, creating a pleasant and healthy working environment.
- Energy audit in accordance with DIN EN 16247-1: Energy audits flag further potential for energy savings. We have been conducting these at the Lüneburg site since 2018. We consistently implement their recommendations so we can optimize our energy use in the long term.
- Environmental management system in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14001:2015: LAP strives to continuously contribute to environmental protection. That was a driving force for introducing an environmental management system (EMS) for the Lüneburg site in 2020. LAP is committed to continuously optimizing the environmental management system it has implemented to sustainably improve environmental performance. The EMS is currently being rolled out to other LAP Group sites.
- Environmental performance monitoring: We regularly monitor, analyze and evaluate our environmental performance. These include in particular: electricity consumption, heating energy consumption (gas), water consumption, vehicle fleet emissions, and waste generation. The data and key figures collected help us evaluate our progress and identify further savings potential.
- Surveillance and follow-up audits: LAP conducts regular audits in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14001:2015 and DIN EN 16247-1.
- Green electricity from renewable energy sources: LAP obtains all electricity needed for its company premises in Lüneburg as green electricity, which is generated from plants that use only renewable energy sources and comply with the criteria for certified green electricity “ÖKOSTROM”. As a result, less CO2 is released into the atmosphere than by the use of electricity generated from conventional energy sources.
- Labor law: We regulate and ensure compliance with local labor law requirements at all LAP locations. We use standardized employee manuals to do this that are customized to the respective local requirements.
- Occupational health and safety system: We have established a comprehensive management system for occupational health and safety. Workplaces are fitted out according to ergonomic criteria and the individual requirements of the employees.
- Company physician: A company physician is available to employees at both sites in Germany as a confidential contact for occupational health issues.
- Employee benefits: LAP offers its employees different benefits depending on local factors. Monetary benefits include fair and performance-related pay packages, a company pension plan and an employee stock-ownership program. Structured onboarding plans give new hires a solid start to their jobs. Our feedback system for annual employee reviews ensures transparency and open dialog. LAP also offers language courses, an annual budget for individual professional development, and fitness programs. Employees can choose to work on site, from home, or under a hybrid model as far as is compatible with the respective roles.
- Health policy: We see it as our duty to protect and maintain the health of our employees. We are aware that lasting economic success can only be achieved with healthy employees. This attitude determines a large part of our tasks and is exemplified by management, ensuring reliable implementation across all subareas of LAP.
- Labor law training program: All LAP managers receive regular training and refreshers on labor law requirements. This ensures compliance with labor law.
- Digital leadership program: The COVID-19 pandemic and the increase in employees working from home has resulted in new challenges for HR management. LAP has met this responsibility with their specially developed leadership program. Demand for this is reviewed annually.
- Local sponsorship: We sponsor local sports teams, including kids and youth sports, and are the main sponsor of the MTV Lüneburg basketball team.
- Code of Conduct: The LAP Code of Conduct forms our globally binding principles for legally compliant and ethical behavior in our daily dealings with employees, customers, suppliers, society, and the environment. The Code of Conduct covers compliance with the law in general and includes provisions prohibiting corruption and bribery as well as principles on fair competition and antitrust law, respect for employees’ fundamental rights, their health and safety, as well as other relevant aspects. The Code of Conduct is regularly reviewed and adapted to new legal requirements. Our suppliers and distribution partners are also obligated to respect these principles and core values.
See: Code of Conduct
- Compliance officer: LAP has appointed an external compliance officer to provide ongoing advice and support to management on all ESG compliance issues.
- Confidentiality: It is essential that LAP safeguard its trade secrets. Our employees are obligated in writing to confidentiality. There is also a protocol to protect both LAP’s and our business partners’ trade secrets.
- Business continuity management: LAP applies comprehensive business continuity management (BCM). Our BCM pursues the goal of ensuring the continued existence and maintenance of business operations, taking into account risks of substantial harm. The BCM provides for regular review of the BCM program, including risk assessment using a risk matrix and risk analysis by LAP management.
- ESG compliance training: Regular training on corruption and bribery raises awareness among our employees and gives them clear instructions on how to avoid unauthorized practices. We also provide ongoing training on handling personal data.
- ESG compliance audits: All LAP companies undergo a regular compliance audit by our external compliance officer. In addition, regular internal compliance audits are carried out at all LAP companies. This means any misconduct can be detected and corrected at an early stage. We also derive learning from these audits and improve processes to prevent recurrences.
- Whistleblowing: We are committed to upholding the law. The purpose of a whistleblower system is to gain knowledge of any compliance violations as early as possible, and to clarify and remedy them. Internal and external whistleblowers can report suspected violations of rules and laws at any time. This can also be done anonymously by telephone, letter, and email. We will follow up on each and every tip-off and take appropriate action if necessary. In doing so, we protect the legitimate interests of whistleblowers. Each whistleblower receives speedy feedback on their input. Notices may be submitted both directly to LAP and to the compliance officer at the contact provided:
Attorney at Law Dr. Philipp Engelhoven
Kanzlei Esche Schümann Commichau
Am Sandtorkai 44, 20457 Hamburg
Phone: +49 40 36805-119